• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
30th Charity Donation Bowl
Andy Goldman

30th Charity Donation Bowl

This is my 39th Charity Donation Bowl. All proceeds from the sales of my bowls go directly to a reputable charity. This bowl is 12" wide by 5" high and is made of Peruvian Walnut and Maple. It has 72 pieces per layer plus the bottom for a total of 1729 pieces. On to the next charity bowl.
With all those little blocks and glue , is there much movement in the wood? Is the Center bottom piece glued in or is it a place where the bowl can move a bit. I’ve never done a segmented turning before.
Bravo on doing charity bowls, it’s beautiful.

Glen: Thank you for your comment, some very good questions. There are many U Tube videos on Open Segmented, with some good starting information. I have not found very much movement in the wood after glue up, but I only use kiln dried wood. I make sure that there is 80% overlap on the layer to layer pieces. The first layer is glued directly to the center bottom piece and has never shown movement. Good luck on sources other information and if you want to do Open Segmented start with maybe 18 pieces per layer as I did and work you way to using more pieces as you get used to the process.

Congratulations on another beautiful open segment bowl Andrew. Your generosity in donating 39 of your pieces is outstanding!!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Andy Goldman
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename