• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
AAW February 2012 Contest
Jerry Hall

AAW February 2012 Contest

Cherry Candle Stick Holder one of two images.
Fantastic turning and a great fnish.

Have just started trying to learn off center turning, have done it years ago and forgot that I had the chuck. So far nothing great, but am having fun doing it.

Gary

Thanks for commenting Gary. I did this with a large Vicmarc chuck and 5" jaws. Canted the log five different ways in a semi-planned manner to achieve an arced and spiraled transition of the elements and cranked the jaws down.

None the less in the most dangerous step, the off center, interrupted cut turning at the top, 10" out, without the tailstock, it came flying off, but amazingly it ended up in my hands. A perfect "catch!" I was able to remount it and true it up.

This technique works fine with sharp tools, very patient small cuts, little or no pressure against the wood. Sometimes I will recut the end between steps at a needed angle on the bandsaw to insure good gripping in the chuck. On other work when I want to offset (rather than angle the work as I did here) I will remove two opposite jaws. That works well.

I like multi-axis turning. There are a gazillion possibilities. Sadly most of them are ugly, and finding the prince is not always easy.

You will have fun getting back to it I am sure.

Jerry

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Jerry Hall
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata