• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Aluminum Designer Pen
Leo Frilot

Aluminum Designer Pen

Introducing my first hand-turned metal pen, made from solid aluminum. I started with 5/8" rod stock and was able to hand-turn all of the external components, except for the clip. (I plan to eventually learn how to make my own clips later.) I also used the brass tubes, the swivel transmission, and the ink cartridge from the kit. The tip, center band, and cap have been brush sanded for the contrasting effect. The tip is compression fitted into the lower barrel. The center band is part of the upper barrel, but made to appear as though it is a separate piece. The clip retainer/cap is threaded into a separate piece that is compression fitted inside the upper barrel. I thoroughly enjoyed making this pen. It's been on my agenda since I started turning metals. I have lots of ideas about how to improve my technique. Thanks for looking; comments and critiques are always welcomed.
www.perfectwoodworks.com
(Now I have to work on a better technique for photographing reflective surfaces)
Beautiful pen, Leo! Can't wait to see the brass one (just a guess). Your metal work is very inspiring. Well done.
Don L.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Leo Frilot
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata