• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Ambrosia Maple Burl
john lucas

Ambrosia Maple Burl

I've had this blank about 2 years. It had a huge tearout, probably from an industrial planer right in the middle. If filled just about all of the bowl area and went all the way through. I looked at it for years and finally decided what to do.

I took careful measurements so that I could put a glue block on the back. This enabled me to turn the bowl depression exactly where the torn out area was. When I got that area turned away there was still a void from what I guess was a crotch area in the bottom. I filled it with epoxy.

It was very difficult to turn the outer edges. The grain ran in 2 different directions so you turned from outside to middle and it tore the grain really bad on one end. turn from the middle out and it tore the grain on the other end. This was with a sharp 55 degree bowl gouge. I ended up using my 40 degree bowl gouge freshly sharpened and took very small bites. It took about 8 passes to get past the tearout.

I had to completely hand sand everything but the bowl because the details were too sharp. The sides and ends were trimmed on the bandsaw and then flattened on a disc sander. I wanted sort of a boat shape.

It was sanded to 400 grit and minwax wipe on Poly applied.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
john lucas
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

Back