• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Ash bowl
Marc Banka

Ash bowl

A White Ash bowl, blackened with India ink then washed with alcohol, top coated with tried and true.
Twice turned, outward facing orientation.
12 inches by 4. Weight 18 oz
Both your submissions today are lovely Marc. I particularly like your washing back of the ink with alcohol.
May I ask what is "outward facing orientation"?

It’s beautiful. I’m not a fan of white wood so this caught my eye as a way to embellish and have a striking result. Could you tell me why you did an alcohol wash?

Both your submissions today are lovely Marc. I particularly like your washing back of the ink with alcohol.
May I ask what is "outward facing orientation"?
Hi Will, thanks for your comments and question.
Outward facing vs inward, pith down vs pith up, or as some call it ‘O’s or ‘X‘s.
I differentiated because I feel there is so much more to it than which will yield the largest bowl. There are spiritual, emotional and artistic reason to how the piece is perceived, but in almost every case, I think the wrong decision is made.

It’s beautiful. I’m not a fan of white wood so this caught my eye as a way to embellish and have a striking result. Could you tell me why you did an alcohol wash?
Thank you for the question, June.
I decided against jet black (and my method for applying was flawed), so considered steel wool or even sandpaper to cut it back. I felt that would give me too much contrast, and getting it even would be an issue. So the alcohol wipe was easy, and fairly easy to achieve a smooth result. I’m happy with the contrast I achieved, showing grain and it’s variations.

Thank you for the question, June.
I decided against jet black (and my method for applying was flawed), so considered steel wool or even sandpaper to cut it back. I felt that would give me too much contrast, and getting it even would be an issue. So the alcohol wipe was easy, and fairly easy to achieve a smooth result. I’m happy with the contrast I achieved, showing grain and it’s variations.
Hi Mark, Thanks for the explanation. I am unfamiliar with this process. Do you apply the ink, let dry, and then apply the alcohol to remove some of the ink?

June,
The India ink pigments are suspended in shellac, which is alcohol based. Shellac doesn’t polymerize like many finishes. It can always be removed with alcohol .

So, my method, or rather my recommendation is to paint the piece with the ink. I’ve found that brushing in makes a mess. Just go over once, as much as possible. Let dry. It doesn’t take long, but no need to hurry either. I might let it set for 30 minutes to make sure the ink deeper in the pores is dry.

Then wash with alcohol to taste. I used a shop paper towel soaked (dripping) and also had a spray bottle with the alcohol. Sprayed and wiped till all of the ink on the surface was gone.
Thats about it. More alcohol and more rubbing will take more, less will be more black.

Of you make a mess of it (as I did) wash it well and start again.

I used a danish oil for a protective finish.

A safety note. The alcohol sold at the big stores is dangerous to your health. It’s all methyl or isopropyl. I use denatured ethyl. It has a funky smell, but won’t rot your brain. Or you could use everclear if your state allows the 190 proof. Good ventilation is needed either way.

June,
The India ink pigments are suspended in shellac, which is alcohol based. Shellac doesn’t polymerize like many finishes. It can always be removed with alcohol .

So, my method, or rather my recommendation is to paint the piece with the ink. I’ve found that brushing in makes a mess. Just go over once, as much as possible. Let dry. It doesn’t take long, but no need to hurry either. I might let it set for 30 minutes to make sure the ink deeper in the pores is dry.

Then wash with alcohol to taste. I used a shop paper towel soaked (dripping) and also had a spray bottle with the alcohol. Sprayed and wiped till all of the ink on the surface was gone.
Thats about it. More alcohol and more rubbing will take more, less will be more black.

Of you make a mess of it (as I did) wash it well and start again.

I used a danish oil for a protective finish.

A safety note. The alcohol sold at the big stores is dangerous to your health. It’s all methyl or isopropyl. I use denatured ethyl. It has a funky smell, but won’t rot your brain. Or you could use everclear if your state allows the 190 proof. Good ventilation is needed either way.
Thanks so much for detailing your process! I’ve got to try this.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Marc Banka
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename