• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Ash with aluminum and rope
G

Ash with aluminum and rope

Turned Ash that I hollowed then cut a grove around the piece to accept the 1/2 inch rope that I want to put on the piece. After turning the main body then I turned the base then drilled holes to accept the tenons from the aluminum ball between the two pieces. The ball was turned, drilled with 1/2 inch holes then textured with the knurling tool. The size of the ball is 2 1/4 inches wide and the overall size is 2 inches long. Shot red aniline dye finished with high gloss wipe-on-poly. The overall size of the piece is 14 inches tall, the main body is 7 7/8 inches wide ( including the rope makes it 8 1/4 inches). After inserting the rope, I cut and added small cut pieces of aluminum between the joints to add a little extra eye catcher.
Lionel-

Thanks. Have a smaller version of it that I used red, orange and yellow aniline dye on it. With the problems solved on it made this piece easier.

Gary

Gary

Wood, acrylic, aluminium, rope & timber, combine & add colour & wow Gary you have the recipe a piece of eye candy, nicely done
Pete

Very creative Gary! I love the color and the contrasting aluminum parts..........I think where the rope is more of the aluminum would have made this even more beautiful than it is............top shelf, Gary!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
gary rock
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device