• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
aspiralwithminis
J

aspiralwithminis

This is two 27 step spirals in a pair turned from 2 round maple blanks displaying a few miniatures I've had for some time (the mini's) . As you can see the crossover ( the amount on each step ) has ample place for a miniature with 54 steps altogether. The steps on these spirals are always turned and not glued together.
Comments welcome.
Best regards for Easter from Jeff .
Thanks Lou and Don
Interesting that you like this one particularly Don Surprising sometimes the opinions and views of different people but that is part of the reason we post, to see what the reaction is.
Take care and have a good weekend still
Best from Jeff.

wow.
What size were the two round maple blanks?
I take it you did eight (plus the blanks) centers?
Ann

Hello Ann
Many thanks for your Wow.
The blanks were each just over 12" long by 3" diameter from baseball bat blanks to have the very straight grain as my aim was to get the greatest possible offcenter thus resulting in a very fine crossover (the amount still remaining from step to step) which is between a 1/16" and an 1/8th" The 2 spirals are then glued together in 4 places with a tiny spot of glue which gives the whole a handleable stability and lessens the fragility of it. It was on 8 centers yes. I appreciate greatly your interest. If you take a look at my photos here in particular the Purpleheart and maple 25 step spiral pair they are done the same but still separate. The idea with that pair would be for someones silver or golden anniversary.
I hope that explains them better for you .
Very best regards from Jeff.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Jeff Greenwood
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata