• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Benicia 1st Street Camphor - SW style
-e-

Benicia 1st Street Camphor - SW style

Some very special camphor trees were removed from 1st Street in Benicia, California. We rescued the trunks and this is one of many pieces in the works from the wood.

This is a great shape for camphor; the very aromatic fragrance is captured with the vessel.
-e-, this is fabulous!!! I love the form. There's something very sensuous about it. The contrast in the wood is spectacular, too. Wow, I really like this one. Great job!!! I'll bet your sinuses are as clear as can be, too :))

I bet you know Brad Adams - he's from your area and mentioned recently that some big camphor trees came down that he's had his eye on for a long time.

I'll restate what I said on WC, this is stunning. I can't get away from staring at it. I agree with Pam, the form is very sensual. What are it's dimensions?

oh thanks for your generous comments, pam and molly!

the vessel is 7.5"w x 3"h. this is the fiirst of several iin progress. not only is the color speciial, but i leave the insides unfinished so the camphor aroma stays fresh. yes, pam .. all the moths left my house when the camphor showed up. also seems to attract other mammals -- i put some shaving out front and squirrels, cats, crows, etc arre hanging out in it.

yes, pam, i know brad and his wife quite well. and he did try to get the camphor trees but couldn't get past the developer's insurance requirements. I just showed some of my work (and my purple ankles from turning walnut) to the site superintendent and got all 15 tree trunks, and they were even felled to my specs! brad just didn't have the right touch...heheheh. we shared tthte wood.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
-e-
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename