• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Betel Nut Calabashes
Michael Anderson

Betel Nut Calabashes

Two miniature calabashes of different styles. The taller bowl is 15/16" diameter x 3/4" tall. The low calabash is 15/16" diameter x 3/8" tall. Betel nut is an interesting and challenging material to work with. Every nut has different patterns inside. Pretty wild! These have no finish, aside from residual thin CA glue used to stabilize the material while turning.
Photographed individually:

S9i3G9w.jpeg

mUf3v95.jpeg

what size gouges and tools do you use, Michael? Are you wearing loupes and using miniature tools? Glue chucking? Tell us a bit of the how. Great work.

Thanks Dimitris! These were a fun distraction from another tedious project. Lol!

what size gouges and tools do you use, Michael? Are you wearing loupes and using miniature tools? Glue chucking? Tell us a bit of the how. Great work.
Thanks Alan! No loupes, though that would be a pretty good idea. I did pretty much all of the exterior turning on these and the other minis I've posted with a 1/2" spindle detail gouge. I have it ground at an angle somewhere between 25 and 30 degrees, and have swept the wings back quite a bit. I'll take a photo later today when I get home. For the interior I mainly use a 3/8 Thompson bowl gouge ground at around 60 degrees with swept back wings. These gouge sizes work well for me, but the most important thing, especially with these betel nuts, is to keep the tools sharp and take fairly light passes.

Mounting is a bit of a challenge. @William Rogers and @Jon Sauer have both given me solid advice on turning betel nuts. I usually sand a flat and then use thick CA to glue the betel nut to a waste block. I've use hot glue as well, but it can get in the way when working small. I keep some tailstock support for the majority of the turning, and then remove when it's time to hollow. I don't reverse mount these betel nut bowls, but instead turn the bottom as much as I can and cut off the bottom with a thin kerf saw. I usually just cut away the extra bits with a sharp carving knife. That's it!

Betel nuts are so wild, and turn pretty well, but can be a bit finnicky. Thin CA glue helps to stabilize them if needed.

Love these little guys, Michael. Outstanding forms for such a small size ... not an easy task! Does the Betel nut have some hollow areas/splits like Tagua nuts? I have some somewhere in the shop, but I've never turned any of them. You know ... save them for something special and then forget about them.

Those are beautiful! I've really gotten into miniature turning after seeing (and buying a couple of) David Ellsworth's spirit forms. I'm still working my way down in size, though. I haven't attempted anything as small as your bowls here yet.

Does the Betel nut have some hollow areas/splits like Tagua nuts?

Thank you Tom! Yep, the center of the betel nut is hollow and somewhat star-shaped. I’ve only turned about 8 of them so far, but it amazes me how variable the size and specific location of the hollow is. Splits seem to show up randomly. You can see several in the whiter calabash in the main photo, but in the individual photo I turned it slightly and the surface is much more continuous.

I've really gotten into miniature turning after seeing (and buying a couple of) David Ellsworth's spirit forms.
Miniature turn is really something else. I sort of had the same experience. Wasn’t too interested until I saw some very small hollowforms in person. A couple of Ellsworth’s spirit forms and a small one that Jamie Donaldson turned. Really awed me, and is just another fun way to make a beautiful form. Definitely works the fine motor control skill set. Lol. It’s also a great way to utilize scraps and work with species that might otherwise not be on the radar.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Michael Anderson
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device