• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Variegated Siamese Rosewood Capsule Box
Gabriel Hoff

Variegated Siamese Rosewood Capsule Box

Debuting a new species, I decided to tap into the rare woods stock on this one, using Siamese Rosewood (Dalbergia Cochinchinensis) as the species. This extraordinary rare variegated type is almost impossible to get, let alone have the courage to turn it and not screw it up! Anyway, the blank was small so a classic capsule box seemed to fit the bill! Turned, hollowed to ~1/8" wall thickness, and finished with buffed wax, then 2 coats of gloss lacquer. Size is approximately 1 3/4" in diameter and 2 3/4" tall. I hope you enjoy seeing the variety and uniqueness of the woods as much as I do!!
Oohhhh Siamese Rosewood! Nice one Gabriel. I like your form choice for this one. Maximize surface area to showcase the beautiful wood. I definitely understand the anxiety that comes with turning some woods. I have a few that have been sitting around forever, for fear of messing up. I should get around to one soon. Thanks for the motivation!

Yes Michael, to be honest my biggest struggle sometimes is feeling like not using the nicer woods due to a mess ups or wasting. Even though I have made a lot of boxes, I am not immune to messing up. I know the piece will be stunning in the end, but sometimes I can't convince myself to get it off the shelf! :D

Thanks Dean! I slept well after this one haha! This piece was 6 inches long and I only use 3 inches for a box, so I do have another piece, but on the larger ones it would be interesting to use more of the wood, say maybe a nesting set!??

Great job featuring the wood.
"finished with buffed wax, then 2 coats of gloss lacquer" - Gabriel, pardon my ignorance, You can put lacquer over wax?

Yes Gene, that is correct. It is my specialty easy two step finishing solution. Tom Gall asked about this and I explained it in detail in the comments section of this photo thread below....⬇️

Yes Gene, that is correct. It is my specialty easy two step finishing solution. Tom Gall asked about this and I explained it in detail in the comments section of this photo thread below....⬇️

Thanks - that helps. Guess I haven't really read your gallery posts. I am always impressed by your creativity and execution. If you don't mind. When buffing do you use the 3 step beal system finishing with bees wax?

I actually buff the Dr Kirks with a soft cloth and by doing so it eliminates the wax residue that would cause the lacquer to peel. I don't use the Beall system, so it makes it really simple!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Gabriel Hoff
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename