• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Blowing in the Wind Series   #5
D

Blowing in the Wind Series #5

This piece was turned from cherry.It's about 9" tall X7 1/2" wide. This whole series was inspired by a tulip blossom and this is part of the evolution of that series.In part I am trying to imitate a blossom opening up, blowing in the wind. Or a seed pod of some unknown plant. Sorry about quility of the picture.
I like this series Duane. Looks a little bit like flames from a campfire. And it has an organic feel to it. I also like the vase with the separate carved base. It looks very time consuming to cut and sand all those fingers...but the effort is worth it.

Duane, wonderful work. I really like this piece. There's a definite sense of motion about it that's very appealing to me. What do you use to carve it?

In short I use just about anything that will cut wood. Mustly on the ends of the spikes I use rotary and reciprocating power tools as well as hand carving knives to shap and bring to a fine point. Then cloth backed sand paper in 1/4" strips. The outside bottom part were the spikes join the base I either carve deep V groves or steel wire brush the surfase. Both to give a kind of natural look. One of them I think it was #2 I put it through my ebonizing treatment. It came out jet black at the bottom with streaks of black going up the spikes of cherry wood.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Duane
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device