• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Bowl - 551
E

Bowl - 551

The wood is Red Oak. The size is 4.5" dia x 2.5" tall. Finished with Danish oil and hand rubbed with 0000 steel wool and a cotton cloth.
As usual, a great job on the piece. I really enjoy bowls where the rim turn inwards towards the top. Did you offset the growth rings to make it more interesting? Or are those diagonal rings from something else?

Ed nice piece. I havn't turned any Oak yet, how is it to turn? All the pieces I have seen turned from Oak were really nice. This piece has some real nice medulary rays. How many coats of oil do you use. Your work always has such a nice finish.

Thank you Mike.

adampapin, thank you. As for the other, what do you think?

Paul, thank you. Wet Oak is caustic. Clean your tools frequently and don't leave any green oak chucked or on a faceplate over night. Turns easily when green. Hard as nails when seasoned. I like to keep the wood wet with Danish oil for about 20 - 30 minutes. Wipe of excess. Let dry for a couple of days and continue wiping with cotton cloth. Buff when dry.

O.K. I have avoided oak and hickory, worked the others, and I don't know what the heck London Plane is. The form is spectacular. Photography on the nose.
Mike

Mike, Just be careful with wet oak. London plane is in the Sycamore family. The bark kind of looks like camouflage and the old trees get lumps and bumps all over them. Many old towns used the trees to line the streets. Thanks for your kind remarks.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Ed Koenig
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device