• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Box Elder Burl Natural Edge Winged Bowl
Shane Whitlock

Box Elder Burl Natural Edge Winged Bowl

Kind of a funky lookin bowl. Its 10" wide on the wings with a 5" bowl. I turned it green to the final shape and sanded to 1200 grit. I then soaked it in DNA so it wouldn't crack and took it out to dry and warp, it didn't crack any but I was hoping it would of warped a little more. Some more hand sanding and then finished with BLO and buffed and polished with White Diamond and carnauba wax.

I originally planned to turn this with a natural edge on the bowl rim too but spaced out while I was turning it and next thing I know its gone. I also thought about doing it with a small foot, or flat spot on the bottom, but it kept tipping over with the weight of the wing, so I went with a round botom.

Comment/Critiques always welcome ...

Personally I don't care for it much, but my wife is always telling me I'm too picky about my work, and judging from some of my previous posts here, she may be right ... Just don't tell her that.

Shane Whitlock
Winged? Looks more like it has a cape!!

I think it is a good idea, the way you partially embedded the rim of the bowl with the live edge. I also feel you could have done more with the shape of the bowl. Could the diameter of the bowl have been larger? I suspect that you were trying to maximize the size of the piecenwhile working within the constraints of the piece of wood. Round bottom ...good

I have a few questions though, DNA? Denatured alcohol? BLO?

Angelo

Angelo.....It works just the way it is. There are limitless variations in any given piece of work. It is balanced in my mind's eye....Nice piece Shane.

Thanks Hstudio

Angelo, DNA ... Denatured Alchohol, BLO ... Boiled Linseed Oil
The bowl diameter couldn't of been much wider due to the odd shape of the blank.

Thanks for your comments,
Shane Whitlock

Yep, I figured you were constrained by the shape of the burl. Nice job of getting the max out of it.

A

Shane ,I just had a look see at your gallery ,I especially like the vessels with holes in them and the bark showing
Well done '
Cheers

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Shane Whitlock
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings