• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Burn Baby Burn
-e-

Burn Baby Burn

The design incorporates a lip of ~1.5" overlap. The texturing is an exploration in what can be done with the coil burning tip. The design was implemented with an 18g coil woodburning tip used in both continuous lines, as well as a weave pattern. The color is a by-product of the burning.
Someday, I hope to get a better picture. See the new ones ... still bad
-e- this piece turned out great! I like the pattern irregularity that you have done across the whole piece. Since it must get pretty charred by the time you're done burning it, how do you finish it off? Do you do some wirebrushing or what? Also what kind of finish are you using to keep the final piece from rubbing off charred black stuff onto the hands/clothes? Thanks, Jeff

hi jeff:
during the branding process, i use a small brass brush to keep the resins cleaned from the coil. I use this also to remove some of the residue from the initial brand and then may rebrand to get more uniform appearance.

However, the branding usually produces very little carbon, but rather a more oily resin. This is what creates the overall black color. Using shellac, I can set the resin, and then finish with Krylon Matt lacquer. Or, I could remove the resins with alcohol, producing quite a different look.

This process is very interesting because it does not burn the wood as much as almost fry it ... the wood becomes plastic-like and can be moved around with the coil until the ridges line up ... although there is quite a bit of smoke produced, there is very little carbon. So far I've used the process with the same results in almond, black acacia, valley oak, zebra wood, and cherry.

Thanks -e-, I find the effect quite fascinating and will have to give this a try. It sounds like a fun process and the results speak for themselves. I might buy a cheapie woodburning tool to get started...you're probably using one of those fancy "dial-a-heat" gizmos. Thanks for the outline of the process, it was very helpful!!!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
-e-
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename