• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Butternut_640x425_
G

Butternut_640x425_

Butternut. Bead blasted, dyed yellow, orange and red on the outside and natural on the inside, finished the bowl in Danish oil and 7 coats of high gloss wipe-on-poly on the edge and the inside. The bowl is 6 1/2 inches wide and 2 1/2 inches tall.
Odie

I use a friend of mine blasting machine, he is a machinist. He has glass beads in it and they do a great job. If the wood is hard, it takes lot longer than the softer woods.(It's not as aggressive as sand blasting) Usually, I blast the piece then take it out and go out in the sunshine to see how it is going and the places that I need to work on more. Have found that the areas that I don't want to cut, I place at least three layers of painters tape and with the beads they usually don't cut through.

Congratulations on the "Turning of the Week."

Gary

Odie

Forgot to answer your question. No, so far, but have to take high pressure air to blow off the piece to make sure that there is nothing left when I get back to the shop and finish turning the piece. I place the piece in a plastic bag to carry it in and there is usually some blasting material in the bottom of the bag.

Gary

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
gary rock
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata