• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Carob hollow vessel
Paul Porter

Carob hollow vessel

This is the largest hollow piece I have done so far. It's 15" D (381mm) x 9.25" H (234.95mm). This a carob crotch, dry and hard! It took me eight hours to hollow and another eight to sand and finish. I had to sharpen my cutting bit every minute or so because it was so hard. The insect damage and cracks are filled with coffee grounds, CA and ebony sanding dust. It has two big voids on the other side, so it was self-emptying while I was hollowing. I'll post a photo of the voids at a later date.

This piece is going into an art wood show at the West Valley Art Museum in Surprise (Sun City), Arizona. The show is entitled "Wood From the Hood: Arizona Wood Artists." The show runs from October 22, 2004 to January 23, 2005.

Sorry for the poor photo quality. I'm still experimenting with lights and reflectors in my photo booth. I'll have a pro take some photos after the show.

Any comments welcome.
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the glowing comments. They grow carob around here (Phx., AZ) as landscape trees. In some of the older sections of Phoenix where the yards are watered by irrigation, these trees can get pretty big by Phoenix standards (trunks 2 to 3 feet in diameter). It grows in California also.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Paul Porter
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device