• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Mesquite Crotch Natural Edge
Paul Porter

Mesquite Crotch Natural Edge

This is my first attempt at a Todd Hoyer style vessel from a tree crotch. I saw a video on PBS about 15 years ago of Todd and how he created this style of vessel. I had just started turning again (turned lots of stuff in high school) and was very impressed by this. I told myself that some day I would have the skill and lathe capable of turning such a vessel. This piece is about 13" D (330.2mm) by 12" H (304.79mm). It was kinda scary to turn because you really couldn't see the wood turning. I had a bright spot light above shining on my hollowing tool to cast a shadow on the wood as it turned. I also taped a metal ring to the outside of the piece to keep the sides from spreading from the centrifugal force of turning. I also put some red painters tape around the opening to see it when turning. This piece is also going in the "Wood from the Hood" show.

Any comments welcome.
paul,
i'm a fan of your work but this one is very unique --- the contrast between the rough internal texture and the outside just adds one more element to the overall complexity.

elegant work!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Paul Porter
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata