• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Carved Butternut End Grain Vessel
Donna Banfield

Carved Butternut End Grain Vessel

Below is a photo of a recent end grain carved vessel. Wood is Butternut, rough turned as a green log, end grain orientation. After drying for about 6 weeks, the vessel was turned a second time to final thickness -- between 1/4" to 3/8" thick. While still mounted in the chuck, the leaves were sketched on the exterior, and I used a jig saw to cut out the exterior of the leaves. Having an articulating jig mounted in my tool post allowed me to flip the vessel 90 degrees (or onto it's side) making the jigsaw cutting very easy.

The remainder of the carving was done using my NSK EVOlution carver, with carbide bits. Thank you Ed Kelle for your advice on carvers. This is the upgrade that I purchased when I burned up my WeeCher. Sanding was done using Jennifer Shirley's suggestions (per J. Paul Fennell) of small abrasive discs attached to flat head nails using double stick tape, and held in my NSK. Sanding using this method took less than a day. The carved vessel I did immediately previous to this one was entirely hand sanded and took a week!

Dimensions are 8" high by 6" wide at the tips of the leaves, finished with several coats of Bush Oil. Comments and critiques about turning/carving/photography welcomed.
Donna, Beautiful piece. I love working with Butternut. Carvers use it a lot. Cuts like butter...no pun intended. My WheCheer is about ready to roach, probably from all the carving I have done. Great tip on using a flat head nail and sandpaper.

Beautiful piece Donna. I really like the end grain orientation, it really works well with the leaves. Well done.

Thanks, Dick, Lou and Michael.

Dick, I agree with you about carving butternut -- it was NOT a pleasure to turn, green or dry. I first turned green butternut in side grain/bowl orientation around 2003, and found it very stringy and not easy to work with. I thought at the time it might have been my lack of skill, experience or technique. I still found it less pleasurable in 2010 to turn (green or dry), but it carved like a dream!

A lovely piece, Donna. I am curious as to the apparent darker interior in the photograph. Is this the result of digital image manipulations? Or is the interior darker? If it is darker, why?

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Donna Banfield
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device