• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Cedar Bowl
Don Leydens

Cedar Bowl

Cedar bowl. 8-1/2 wide X 3-1/2" tall. Finished with Tung oil and Beall buffed. Thanks for looking and all comments welcome, Don L.
As always, that's beautiful. I can't believe the rate at which you turn out these pieces! What did you use to get the black lines?

As per your normal work, SUPER! Very high marks on your finish. A note to Cathy...I think he sweats, then burns them in with a wire (friction turning)....All jokes aside, you are very good at getting the best out of a given piece of wood.

Nice, especially the equatorial crease.

Too steep to use wire in tension - the wire skids downhill, and smears. Better to use something rigid, e.g. elbow portion of a dental pick (BTDT), or piece of laminate.

A friend of mine is now using the edge of a hose clamp to do lines such as these. The size of the clamp used is based on the radius of the line. The technique is working well.

Thanks everybody!!!

Cathy, I used black marker on the lines. I believe it's the kind Cindy Drozda uses. They have two sides, a very fine point like a paint brush and a fine marker point. They're excellent but a bit expensive. I think it was 25.00 for a set of 10. They're made by "Tombow" and called "Dual Brush". Hope that helps.
Thanks for asking, Don L.

Nice finish on this piece. Hard to get all the sanding scratches out of this cedar isn't it?

I've had decent luck burning lines with a small piece of laminate countertop material.

Jim - Yea, it can be quite frustrating sanding this sometimes.
You're right, the Formica counter top stuff works well too.
Don L.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Don Leydens
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata