• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Cherry Bowl
Don Leydens

Cherry Bowl

Cherry bowl, 8.5" dia. Textured and dyed on top. Finished with tung oil and Beall buffed.
During a chemo session last week, I met a fellow patient and we started talking. I brought up the subject of woodturning (what else)and the gentleman told me he had a bunch of hardwood planks in his shop he wood like me to have. Turns out that a lot were cherry and this piece is for him and his wife. He is unfortunately terminal. Very sad. If this bowl puts a smile on his face, it'll put one on mine too!
Thanks for looking and all comments welcome, Don L.
Very nice. How did you get the tecture. Haven't been brave enough to try anything like that yet. We've been dealing with the big C at our home also. You did a very nice thing for a fellow patient.

very nice, Don

Thanks Charlie and Lark!

The texturing is from a Sorby texturing tool, sort of. I bought the gear-like part and made a handle for it.

Thanks for the comments, Don L.

Thanks , Hal, it's going well and doing it's job.
I'll be giving him the bowl in a few hours. Should lighten up the chemo room for a little while.
Thanks for the comments, Don L.

Don, I like the treatment you gave the bowl, the colors work well together and the texture adds another dimension.
Well done!

Don this piece is my favorite of all your work. Maybe because of the intended recipient.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Don Leydens
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename