• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Colored Flower
J

Colored Flower

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Description: Norfolk Pine 8in W X 6 in High
Ive been experimenting with color using artists oils and BLO with a little bit of gloss poly mixed in an attempt to achieve color and translucence. I started by adding a glowing yellow to the mix and applied this to the piece. After the first coat dried, I buffed with gray woven pads. I then added a deeper yellow to the previous mix, applied and again buffed. For the next coat, I added red to the mix and applied with an air brush. With each succeeding coat, I added deeper reds and continued to move up the bowl in sections and continued the drying/buffing process. The final coat of color had a heavy dose of violet to the mix. After curing, I sprayed several coats of gloss poly. After it cured for several days, I buffed again with the woven pads and applied a semi-gloss poly. I think the semi-gloss was a mistake and after this cures for a few more days, Im going to buff and go back to the gloss.
I think I will continue to take this experiment forward. The layers of different colors seem to add depth to the work.
Critiques and comments welcomed
very nice, thanks for the procedure

Joe, now that you mention it, it reminds me of butterfly also, with a very little carving and a few more knots and Jim's procedure ....

Are the walls of this vessel thin enough to be translucent? I can't tell from the photo if I'm looking at reflected light or backlighting. I like the lip treatment.

Robert

Robert,
The bowl was turned to about 3/16" to allow enough thickness for carving and putting a curve in each of the petals. Because it is carved inside as well as out, where the petals meet it's about 1/64" and in the body of the bowl it's a little less than a eighth. I is translucent all the way up the bowl but the color dims the upper portion sincre their are deeper colors as you move up the bowl.
Hope this helps.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Jim Keenan
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata