• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
colored portholes
Alan Miotke

colored portholes

This is my first attempt at making a piece with dyed and stabilized wood. The entire piece is maple including the colored sections and it's 9" tall. A shout out to Malcolm Tibbetts who first showed this technique. There seems to be lots of possibilities to try.
Pretty great vase. I'd never have the patience to make one of those. I don't know if it makes me think of x-mas or radiation danger but that's not a bad thing! Nice work!

It also kind of gives me a 3d illusion like looking down into a hole. Maybe I had too many fumes a little bit ago in the shop.......

Very cool, Al! They dyed Maple is a great contrast to tue natural golden color. I also appreciate the top and bottom bands that complement the awesome feature ring.

Great colors Al! They really pop on that maple vessel! Nice plug for Malcolm, he deserves more of that!! I like your form, I wonder how it would look w/o the bottom colored feature ring!!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Alan Miotke
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device