• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Core Values
Russ Braun

Core Values

This is a vessel built with Tom Lohman's jig. The woods are Maple, Bubinga, Walnut and Purpleheart. Size is 16" tall and 18" at it's widest. Piece count exceeds 18,000. This took 7 weeks to glue up. It was glued up and turned in two halves, joined together after getting wall thickness to approx. 5/32". Finish is currently crackle gloss (lol). Slated to be refinished; posted this way just in case!! Thanks to Tom and Pete Marken for their support! more in comments section!
I wanted to add my inspiration. I found myself entertained by a couple of our members on Facebook and their frequent sparing on an ideological level. It reminded me of our country in general; somewhat fractured on many levels. The interesting thing is I know both of these guys (and many others) would be the first ones at your house to help if it ever got damaged in a natural disaster; that got me thinking about core values and how we, as decent people, have these in common. The piece is supposed to reflect an exterior finish pulled apart at the center to reveal the core (values). Similar to people, the core values are hidden by their façade! I made the "core" look aligned, somewhat colorful and constant because that is how I view core values. While we may take different views on sociological issues, I think it is our own obligation to remember that other's core values are more similar to our own than is ever noted!

Regarding the crackle gloss finish, my vacuum chuck was used to hold the vessel after parting off the waste block in order to finish the bottom. This process put some stress on an apparently too thin vessel and created some very fine cracks in the finish. We all have our challenges, mine continues to be high gloss finishes! Comments and critique is always welcome!!

Beautiful work Russ, what an exception vessel. The form and pattern is excellent!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Russ Braun
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings

Image metadata

Device