• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Die Ersten und Letzten
Andy Chen

Die Ersten und Letzten

This is a Corian vessel with malachite (the diamonds) and red calcite (the shark teeth in the neck) inlays (7.25" d, 6" h). I had planned to make a series of these vessels with mineral inlays. I had turned a little bit of malachite in Corian (http://www.aawforum.org/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=9916, green squares in th neck of decanter) with HSS tools with no trouble but it was so hard to turn this time even with carbide cutters. I was listening to the radio while turning the malachite on this vessel when the announcer explained why Josef Strauss (the younger brother of Johann Strauss II) titled the next waltz Die Ersten und Letzten (The First and Last). I said thats exactly my sentiment, therefore the title. (Josef was actually an engineer and meant for this waltz to be his first and last.)
Well...you started with a bang and went out with style!!!!!!!!!!

How do you glue up your corian to corian pieces? Sure is seamless.....

Glenn

Andy, this segmented Corian hollow form is gorgeous and the form is rignt on. Your expertice in using Corian is obvious here. The use of hard minerals in the design elements makes this piece glow!

Thank you, Glenn and Bill for taking the time to make the comments on this Corian piece with mineral inlay.

Glenn, I make sure the two mating surfaces of Corian are true and smooth and then use the median viscosity CA to glue pieces or rings together to achieve seamless joints.

Saw this piece yesterday at our club meeting and even got to hold in it in my hands to look at. Andy did a great job on this piece.

Gary:cool2:

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Andy Chen
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata