• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Dodecasette Deviled Egg Platter/ Top View
B

Dodecasette Deviled Egg Platter/ Top View

This piece was rough turned from wet Water Hickory (Red Pecan), harvested in Southeast Texas in 2004. The turning sat drying for 4 years, waiting to become something more than a mere shallow bowl. In April of this year, I retrieved it for final turning and carving and completion of the egg platter shown. The platter measures 12 diameter and is 2 high.

The platter was turned to the approximate thickness for carving the 12 flutes inside and out to hold a dozen deviled eggs. The flutes were carved to an even wall thickness. The central area inside the flutes was turned with the central rosette area remaining 1/8 higher to allow for the beads and chip carved dodecasette (12 leaf) pattern. Reverse turning the base was accomplished via vacuum chucking.

Sealer was applied following 180 grit sanding. Final sanding was performed using grits up to 400. Three coats of Waterlox finish was applied using steel wool between coats. Polishing was done using the Bealle Buffer System.
Reactions: Brian McCutchon
Thank you Ed. I power carved the flutes using an air grinder with typhoon burrs for smoothing the round overs. The flutes themselves were done with a powered sanding drum in an inline grinder mounted on a table. A very dusty job.

Ed, thanks for your very kind evaluation. It is really appreciated. Wish I could have come to the Symposium with it, but could not go this year.
PS - Colorado was my place of birth and life through college. Still have fond memories of that state.

Gorgeous treatment: the shaping and the figure go together so well.

Bill, I don't know how I missed this beautiful piece the first time around!

POD 08-22-08
AAW Home Page Photo Of the Day

Kurt - Thank you for selecting this piece for the Photo Of the Day. You have really made my day. I was totally shocked when I went to the AAW Home Page and saw my turning. Thanks again.
Bill

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Bill Pottorf
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata