• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Echos  View 1
Andy DiPietro

Echos View 1

I have limed many different wood species over the years and I find that elm is one of my favorites. To create contrast and impact I lightly sandblasted the surface after careful sanding. This opens the grain to accept more liming wax. Finished with water-based lacquer.

Dimensions: 7.5 H x 6 dia. All comments are welcome
Andy,

Nice work. I usually see this done with Ash, due to its strong grain patterns and how well is shows the liming highlights. You have achieved the same with your Elm (via the sandblasting technique). Do you use Elm because it grows nearby?

Can you share what brand of water based lacquer you are using and how you applied it(brush or spray?). Do you recommend that brand over others? I have not explored this area in finishes. Any issues with the water based finishes raising any grain?

Thanks for sharing!

Tom

Thanks Guys,
Elm is one of my favorites but Ash is a close second. The sandblasted grain patterns very with each wood species.
I use Mohawk Perfect Blend Aerosol
http://www.mohawk-finishing.com/catalog_browse.asp?ictNbr=703
which is formulated to work over wax. A couple light spray coats is all that is needed.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Andy DiPietro
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename