• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
ELLIPSE
Bruce L Jones

ELLIPSE

ELLIPSE
This is a piece that did not get very much recognition, made from 4 turnings cut apart to 6 pieces and reattached, the carved grape vine portion is Mahogany the main body of the vase, base and ring are Teak. The piece finished size is 10" x 10". The coloring was done with a combination of wood dye and Deco Art Metallics Acrylic paint, then the spray finish is lacquer. The vase body on this piece can be moved and so can the grape vine shell.
Where were you expecting to get recognition for it? Social media? Juried exhibition?
No where in particular Emiliano. This piece was made 4 years ago and fell to the side because of all my other pieces, without receiving very many comments. This time it has had a very impressive response mostly with the ladies. This helps me know what direction to take on future pieces and what appeals to the public.

I'm lucky. I can turn what I feel like turning. That's why I hate it, and I try to stay away from commission pieces that are not something that I would have fun turning. I would definitely not have fun if I had to turn to what appeals to the public. Then again, what would that be? Everything sells!! I would recommend you turn what you like, what gives you a tingling sensation when you think about it in the morning before you head out to the shop. The above piece is magnificent, a work of art. I could not care less if someone likes it or not when I make something. I would say you are 100% going in the right direction! Show us more! Aloha

I'm lucky. I can turn what I feel like turning. That's why I hate it, and I try to stay away from commission pieces that are not something that I would have fun turning. I would definitely not have fun if I had to turn to what appeals to the public. Then again, what would that be? Everything sells!! I would recommend you turn what you like, what gives you a tingling sensation when you think about it in the morning before you head out to the shop. The above piece is magnificent, a work of art. I could not care less if someone likes it or not when I make something. I would say you are 100% going in the right direction! Show us more! Aloha
Don't get me wrong Emiliano, I only create what comes from my mind; but still take note as to what the people are attracted to. At this point and time I am not trying to make a living from my art, but when I fully retire things may change. I do however take commissions based on some of what the person wants but still make it my own piece, painting or drawing.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Bruce L Jones
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename