• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Elm Carved Hollow Form (Pic #2)
R

Elm Carved Hollow Form (Pic #2)

Turned from a green elm wood blank. The grooves in the top were carved using an Automach reciprocating carver, including the "ragged" edges. The top was then burned with a butane torch, brushed with a soft bristle brass brush (to remove loose ash), and finished first with Bronze gilding wax with a second coat of Nordic Bronze Chroma-Gilt. The bowl itself was finished with a beeswax/mineral oil mix.
Thanks for the comments and likes. For me, it was a departure from my norm, which came about in an in-person class with Trent Bosch. As you may know, he does a lot of carving and I guess I just needed this push. It's much more satisfying to do more than just turn (although that is quite satisfying and enjoyable). This particular piece was a combination of concept and the propensity of this particular piece of wood to have some weak spots, especially just where I intended the rim to be. Hence, the raggedness of the top. So, the wood helped me see its true potential I guess. It was a great class and a great learning experience with the added benefit that there was a realization more than ever for me that the wood does, to some extent, drive the end result.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Randy Heinemann
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename