• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Will Armstrong for "Gold Carved Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 20th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Emerging Bowl (lid of)
Peter Gray

Emerging Bowl (lid of)

Second look at the previous photo
This must be the WOW entry you mentioned elsewhere.......nice job of it!

I'm having a little trouble visualizing how it's done.....is there some instructions somewhere on this concept?

My guess is this would be problematic, unless the overall moisture content is fairly low from the beginning......?

I take it, the lid is actually not an exact match, but done with the same wood.....?

Thanks for showing us, Peter.........

Thanks for the interest odie, this is a bit of a story, I was sent a photo as a challenge by a very well known member of WOW, I had never seen this type of turn before, it drove me mad for a couple of days but I workrd out how to do the bowl, so the next challenge was "put a lid on it", & yes the only way I could work it our was a matched turn, You could have used the other "sacrifical" half if you didnt want to have a handel/ finial or what ever your fancy. The trick was to turn the recesses for the lid match up before you start to turn anything.
I was told that Irwin Seidman had worked all this out many years ago, so thanks Irwin for a couple of restless nights sleep
Hope that gives you a good idea & gets you thinking with the hints above.
Thanks again for looking & your interest :)

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Peter Gray
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device