• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
"Flower Case" series #11
Aspen, 8 inches tall
The flowers are intended to imply the Columbine flower.
I used acrylic paints, India ink, branding, pyrography, and semi gloss lacquer topcoat
I'll have to agree with Hughie. I think it is because of the texture on the lower half ... a bit more subtle than the basketweave on the others in this series. Just a personal preference. Very nice, and looking forward to #12.

I'll have to agree with Hughie. I think it is because of the texture on the lower half ... a bit more subtle than the basketweave on the others in this series. Just a personal preference. Very nice, and looking forward to #12.
Thanks Tom, I appreciate your take on the texture, a new one for me.

Another great piece Vinny. I don’t know how you are able to do all this burning through the winter in Colorado. I have a hard time with smoke carving my Chaco pieces but nothing like burning.

Terrific piece Vinny! I’m with Jim on the developed smoke; I’m sure you are protecting your lungs! Is your topcoat tinted black? One think that really adds to these pieces is the uniform black color you have developed. I have burnt many things (dinner too, lol); there is typically some brown still poking through. This is a fantastic series Vinny!!

Terrific piece Vinny! I’m with Jim on the developed smoke; I’m sure you are protecting your lungs! Is your topcoat tinted black? One think that really adds to these pieces is the uniform black color you have developed. I have burnt many things (dinner too, lol); there is typically some brown still poking through. This is a fantastic series Vinny!!
Thanks Russ! Right now, I burn with the garage door open while sitting close to a 30,000 btu blue flame heater. (Artists are supposed to suffer, right?).
All of the texture is hand painted with India Ink, between flowers too. This gives a uniform black. But I am often tempted to steel wool the texture and leave natural. Many options to explore!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Vincent Luciani
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings

Image metadata

Filename