• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Footed Walnut Bowl
James Seyfried

Footed Walnut Bowl

This footed Black Walnut bowl is about 9”x 3 ¾”. It is finished with Danish oil and polished with the Beal buffing system. I was pleasantly surprised with the beautiful grain of this Black Walnut.
Hi James......your footed bowls are showing the great care you take in making them. Yes, sometimes there is a great "awakening" in the grain and character of some bowls that remain hidden, until revealed by a nice finish. This one is a good example of that!......:D -----odie-----

Thanks Odie! I always try do do the best I can, yet a beautiful piece of wood can really make you look good. :)

Gerald the majority of the wall thickness is 1/4" down to the foot, the bottom is slightly thicker. The foot was somewhat determined by they way I roughed out the bowl. Once finished down to the foot (and foot's outer curve) I finish the inside making sure to leave enough on the bottom. Then my goal is a continuous curve for the bottom. So I guess my consideration is to make sure to leave enough to work with. ;)

Thanks Curt!

This amazing/perfect walnut turning is proof that when "nothing" is added to such great figure and superb workmanship, a masterful piece can be created! Just FANTASTIC, James!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
James Seyfried
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
5.00 star(s) 3 ratings

Image metadata

Filename