• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
River Rapids
Scott Hampton

River Rapids

I made this piece during my all-day demo for the Channel Island Woodturners of Ventura, CA, and currently resides in their collection.
This deep textured platter is inspired by the rivers in a national park near my home. The texture represents the rapids, the burned and gold gilded center the darkness of the river bottom, the grain is the marbling of the granite river rocks and cliffs.
It's made of sugar pine and 17" diameter. I finished this piece with Mahoney's Walnut Oil, which has given the piece a beautiful golden color.
I've applied to be a demonstrator for next year's symposium in Kentucky. If selected for one of coveted openings, this piece will be one of the projects I'll be teaching how to create. Wish me luck.
Thanks for looking at my post.
There are no comments to display.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Scott Hampton
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings