• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Hawaiian Poi Pounder
Robert Woodward

Hawaiian Poi Pounder

A Hawaiian Poi Pounder made from as of now UN-known Hawaiian hardwood
Hello Robert, nice poi pounder... Got some Lama today, mine looks a little lighter, and no luck, no black like sometimes you can get... If you ever come to Maui make sure you stop by to say hello. Aloha

Rob, I know you know what Lama looks like. And this is not Lama. Perhaps Naio. Did it have a really sweet smell when you turned it?I just called Rob and he thought it was Lama at first. Now says unknown Hawaiian wood. Our meeting is this Sat. and he will bring a piece. And not Naio either.

Emiliano, Yes at first I thought it was Lama but now after get and turning more Lama I agree with Kelly that it is not Lama. Still not sure what it is but it is very hard and heavy. Hopefully someone will be able to tell me.

@Emiliano Achaval I have a friend here that works for the DLNR and I showed him the wood and a picture of one of the trees today. He said that it is Ala'a. Bishop Museum has a bowl made from what looks to be the same wood. I will bring you some when I come over or if you happen to be coming to the Big Island let me know.

Emiliano, I showed the wood with bark on it and pictures of the tree it came from and he was dead sure that it is Ala'a. He works in the area that the wood came from and said that there are many dead and or dying Ala'a trees. The wood from Ala'a is yellow with some black streaks in it. It is very hard and close grained. I will be giving Kelly a piece as he has never seen any. I will also save some for you.
Aloha Rob

This is lovely. So I take it this wood is NOT colored....This is natural color?
Wow that must be the most yellow timber in the world..

Well done and thanks for posting. Love to see more Ala'a......

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Robert Woodward
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device