• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Hollow Form - 483
E

Hollow Form - 483

Tasmanian Eucalyptus Burl, 5" dia x 8" tall. Finished with Danish oil and buffed with white diamond followed by carnauba wax.
Reactions: Ed Davidson
This is one fine vase Ed. I like the subtle lip at the top. You have done this wood some good justice!

I love the proportions and finish. Just right for the wood's figure! Love the piece.

Jeff,
Thank you for you nice comments. What a pleasant surprise to see the piece posted on the front page. Thank you!

Dave,
Thank you! This was a fun piece to make. Tasmanian burls are wonderful to turn. You ever get Koa burls?

Ed,
Steve picks the POD for the homepage. Even so, I would have put this one there in a heartbeat!

Steve,
I would like to thank you for selecting this piece for POD. I mistakenly thought Jeff made the choice since I did not see any comment from you. I guess I should pay closer attention to who does what. Never the less, Thank You!

Very lovely form, Ed. I also like the buffing technique, but I would hesitate on a piece like this, because I always get the white diamond in the cracks. How do you keep it out of the cracks???

Dan, I use very little on the wheel and buff some scrap wood prior to the actual piece. Lint from the wheel is a bigger problem. A pair of good tweezers and lots of patience is what is required to remove the lint. I know, why bother buffing. Well because I like the kind of finish I get. I do spay lacquer on some pieces and knock it down to a satin finish with super fine steel wool because I'm not fond of a high gloss. But that's just my preference. I often buff lacquered pieces with a clean wheel (no wax or compound) but lint is still a problem. I try to keep my buffing wheels from becoming contaminated with dirt and dust. Each wheel is dedicated to its own compound. Tripoli, white diamond and wax. I replace the wheels often.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Ed Koenig
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename