• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Rode Kabbes burl
Greg Thomas

Rode Kabbes burl

This piece is 8" x 5 1/2". I don't know much about Rode Kabbes except that this piece was shipped from Surinam by a missionary to a local lumber mill near where I live. The tree was dead when harvested and full of ants. The lumber had to remain in a kiln for two months before they would allow it to leave the country. It's a very hard wood and the burl looks like swirling marble when turned. I wanted to expose as much of the beauty of this piece of wood as possible, form was not that important. The lighting I used highlighted the yellows and reds, I need some suggestions on how to avoid that. If anyone has more info on Rode Kabbes I would appreciate hearing about it.
That is a fascinating piece of wood. Very pretty.
What kind of light did you use for this shot?
Your camera should have a setting in it that allows you to tell it what the light source is (a white balance setting, usually to tungsten, daylight, flourescent, etc. Make sure that is set correctly. If it is, then you could further correct for the lighting by getting a photographers grey card and using that with the custom lighting setting of your camera. That will allow it to read have the camera read the light reflecting off the white side of the grey card and determine the correct white balance from that for the lights you are using.

Beyond that, if you have a copy of Photoshop you can try doing an Autobalance first to see if Photoshop can compensate automatically, or you can play with the color balance in Photoshop manually. That can be tricky though if you are not familiar with it. You might find the grey card faster and easier. You can get those from any decent camera shop.

Hope that helps!

Pretty piece by the way. I like what you did with it.

Dave

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Greg Thomas
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata