• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Horn of Plenty
P

Horn of Plenty

My first photo here, some of you might have seen it already on WoW.
Turned hollow cone, then cut and reassembled to get the horn shape.
Gesso and texture outside, gold leaves inside.
Reactions: Carl Burn
love it!
how many cuts/segments are involved?
how are the re-joined lines covered up on the inside?

Very nice and interesting project. Did you cut all the segments on the same angle and just rotate them ? How did you cut them? Or did you sand the angles?
Also nice picture.

Thanks e and Erwin. if I remember well, there are 25 segments, and the total length of the cone was around 25cm (10"). for each "ring" I make a cut at an angle (+5 or +8 degres), then another one at -5 or -8deg. then I rotate every other segment of 180 degres(it is clear ?) before gluing.
each cut is sanded on a disk sander (MDF on a faceplate on the lathe, 3M 75 spray glue to hold the sandpaper).
most of the job was determining graphically on a drawing the length of each segment (the cut angle being fixed), as the length varies with the curve radius.
this piece is the subject of a "how-to" article I wrote for a woodworking magazine (in French).
the inside is sanded to remove the angles with rotary flap wheels or anything that worked, and I just applied a red gilding base, (called "assiette rouge", I don't know the technical word in English), then my gold leaves.

Pascal

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Pascal Oudet
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata