• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Lidded Maple Box w/Fiddleback Figure & African Blackwood finial. 1208-
J

Lidded Maple Box w/Fiddleback Figure & African Blackwood finial. 1208-

Lidded Maple Box w/Fiddleback Figure & African Blackwood finial. 1208-3 Top Open

6 x 4, Sanded to 1200, Danish Oil, Bealle Buff.

10% MC as received, so no further seasoning required.

Your comments, opinions and critiques are greatly appreciated.

Thanks, JL
Really very nice, Joe........

I really like your sense of traditional design.

I'd like to see how that lid fits.

To my thinking, a tiny bit of looseness in the fit is better than the "vacuum" fit that seems to be so popular. (There is room for natural movement of the wood over time, that way.)

Your design....the way the two major components contribute to design, instead of attempting to be invisible, does very well, and lends itself to the former very nicely.

Now that you've got me thinking along these terms, I'm feeling very inspired to do some small boxes.......just ordered some Blackwood and Gabon ebony turning stock!

ooc

Odie, thanks so very much. Your comments mean a lot and I look forward to seeing your artistry applied to some lidded boxes. I know they will be incredible.

I made this piece for my wife's birthday and she loves it. As for the lid fit, it has a fare amount of looseness as she does not like the vacuum fit and prefers to be able to just lift and return the lid with no effort.

My first lidded box ever had the vacuum fit and I also found it annoying when you have to pick it up to open or even worse is not leaving enough room for wood movement and then picking it up part way just to have the bottom fall from the lid.

All my lidded boxes will have looser lids then most, it's just a preference.

Thanks again......JL

I don't recall the subject ever being discussed on the forums. I wonder what others think about this....? I does seem that the vacuum fit is the standard by which all are judged, though.

In the far distant past, I've made a few vacuum fit lids, and a few others that had some looseness.......I prefer the loose fit for the same reasons you do. (Must be careful about how loose, though...... there is a very small window of what would be considered...... a perfect fit!)

Wood, over the years, is seldom perfectly stable. The vacuum fit lids certainly do have a certain appeal to them, but for such a tight tolerance, most/many of them will not stand the test of time......

It's in the plans to do some lidded boxes. Probably won't be for some time, though.....lots of bowls in progress, and that's my thing!

Did you make the lid from matching grain, cut in the same fashion as most vacuum lidded boxes are done?

Later......

ooc

Odie,

I measured with calipers and found 1/32" clearance on the dia. Don't really know if that falls into the window of being considered a good fit or not. Of course as long as my wife is happy then I'm happy.

As for how I made the top, usually I start with the all from one piece method which allows for the vacuum fit if wanted. In this case the main blank was not thick enough so I actually glued two blanks together then formed the top in the same manner as if one. Luckily I purchased several blanks at one time so the almost matching was semi-close.

Thanks........JL

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Joseph Lang
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata