• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Looming
Hickory sphere, White Oak pedestal, Niove base, and Betel nut "gem". This was fun piece to put together, a translation of a thought into wood. I turned the sphere quite a while ago, and used it as a sort of practice piece for textures and patterns. I decided to carve the surface away and add a bunch of new texture, burn, wirebrush, paint and stain to transform the sphere into a metal-wood hybrid "thing". The pedestal is repurposed from another piece I made a while ago, and I re-carved/textured portions of it for this piece. More below.
This was my first time working with Niove wood. I originally wanted a plain black base, but decided that a touch of color would work better. So, as I was looking for some sort of bright wood, I stumbled across a small board of Niove at Woodcraft. I may have also found my new favorite wood. Incredibly dense, fairly oily, and very vibrant. I cut out the shape on a scroll saw (slow going given the hardness), and I power-carved it pretty dramatically. It seemed almost impossible to burn the wood. Wild stuff.

I turned the Betel nut and finished with lacquer. It is just a beautiful thing, and this was a particularly pretty example. It amazes me the variety of patterns and colors you get with these nuts. Overall, Looming is 7.25" tall, 8" long, and 5" deep.

Here are a couple of detail shots:

G7WC90S.jpeg

IqYtCsS.jpeg

Last edited:
This piece has inherent animation Michael...but you knew that. It looks like a bowling ball about to squash a bug. Where do you find Betel Nuts? I know they are an addictive substance so was just wondering if you had difficulties in sourcing.

This piece has inherent animation Michael...but you knew that. It looks like a bowling ball about to squash a bug. Where do you find Betel Nuts? I know they are an addictive substance so was just wondering if you had difficulties in sourcing.
Haha, thanks Paul! No trouble at all getting betel nuts. I bought a bag on ebay. Something like 25 for $20 or so. Maybe even cheaper. It really is wild, betel nuts as an addictive substance. I went down that rabbit hole (not consuming, but reading). An overlooked global health issue affecting something like 10% of the world population. Pretty wild. Depressing.

Repurposing suits you well Michael! A piece is never done until it’s done! This piece has a dark moody side to it or is it the exact opposite…a bright cheery side, lol!! I like it a lot!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Michael Anderson
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device