• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Magic Wand
underdog

Magic Wand

Mahogany handle with Maple shaft tenoned into handle.
13 long x 11/16 dia (1/4 tip)

This is the second one of three. Despite the fact that the mistakes dictated a great deal of the design, I think it turned out the best.
Nice job on the wands. I'm interested in the process you use and if you are selling them.

Angelo

Thank you Angelo.

The process is really rather simple. The piece to be drilled is turned round and drilled first, then the maple is tenoned to fit the drilled hole, then inserted in the hole with glue. Then the whole thing is turned between centers using fingers as steady rest. I use a skew and parting tool for most of this. Well... that and a lot of sandpaper....

A barrel trimmer for this size tenon would go a long way towards making this easier.

And no I have not sold any... yet.

Cool wands!!! I have fun turning wands too... I have had some trouble getting my hole crooked in the handle, which skews the shaft off to one side. So do you drill your hole on the lathe or with a drill press. If you do it on the lathe, how do you do that and keep the drill bit from going crooked? If you do it with a press how do you keep the handle straight? Again really nice wand... actually one of the nicer wands I have seen!!!

Jonathon

Jonathon,
I believe I drilled this one on the drill press. It didn't come out quite as crooked as the Walnut/Maple one. I have another Walnut Maple blank that came out much more straight. I have yet to turn it.

This is the very reason I think a barrel trimmer would be quite nice. It would help keep the end of the joint straight with no gaps. A pen drilling jig would be just the thing to keep the hole parallel to the outside though.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
underdog
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename