• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Marbleized Mable Vessel Trio
Andy DiPietro

Marbleized Mable Vessel Trio

This Trio was turned from an Ambrosia Silver Maple log that has been spalting since the spring of 2008. Each piece was bleached twice and sanded to 2000 grit. I applied two light coats of water based polyurethane, then sanded and buffed lightly to achieve the ghostly marbleized finish.

So I am really excited about this trio. Please tell me what you think.

#287 is 16" H x 10" D
#288 is 10" H x 7" D
#289 is 6 3/4" H x 6 1/2" D
Andy,

I think your pieces are great. I like the bleached look and the different sizes make an actractive grouping. Good work!

For some reason these look better in this photo than on Wow

The bleaching was well worth the effort ,I like the albino kind of feel they have
Have you tried sandblasting some of this wood ,with bleaching afterwards (just an idea ) They are sweet as they are though
Cheers

very nice

Your forms have lovely shapes and the trio fits together perfectly. I assume the wood was pretty dark. Did you use 2-part wood bleach, or a less agressive one part? Whatever, the result is stunning.
Dale

That is an impressive trio, and the biggest one sure is big. That must have been a ton of fun. I like the form of the largest one the best, but the other two are excellent as well. The finish you achieved is unique and very interesting.

Great work!!

Thanks for responses. These were fun to turn and hollow but they were also a lot of work. The wood was pretty dark, so I let it completely dry before adding Daly's bleach with is a strong 2-part bleach. The dry wood drew in the bleach like a sponge. This group was turned from the end grain of half log sections.

Thanks
Andy DiPietro
www.woodartforms.com

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Andy DiPietro
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating