• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Marinara
R

Marinara

[B][I]Marinara[/I][/B] is wall mounted and a cornerstone of my Flower Revolution series.

[B][I]Marinara[/I][/B] won first place at the 2011 Orange County Woodworking Exhibition
This image is the cover photo for the exhibition catalog.

Cherry, Holly, Stainless Steel

25" diameter x 5 " deep
(63cm x 13cm)

Weight: 30 ounces (850 grams)

[url=http://www.californiawoodartist.com]My website[/url]
Depending on which mistakes and assumptions I made, I calculate the average thickness at 2mm to 4mm. Converted to metric because it's cleaner.

Spectacular.

And where is the stainless steel?

Thanks, Joe.

I think the thickness is probably closer to 6mm at the axis tapering to 2mm at the edge.

The stainless steel is 4mm wire used for the wall cradle in which Marinara rests. I wanted this to be minimal yet secure. 40# monofilament is used to leash the top petal on exhibit in case of earthquake.

And Joe, since you have an engineering background, I should mention that this flared form is quite rigid. If I invert the curve of the flare and make the form more bowl-like, it becomes flexible. If I then add a foot to the bowl-like structure, it stiffens it up a great deal.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Robert Manning
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device