• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Mona Lisa
Jeff Myroup

Mona Lisa

After completing my 'Creation Of Adam' piece, I wanted something to take to Turn-On Chicago. I originally planned on burning this on Poplar,
since the original is painted on a Poplar
panel. I changed my plan to use Maple since I had the sister piece of wood to the "Creation" bowl, and I like Maple better. This is my most ambitious burning to date. There is a little fiddle in the plate and that tends to complicate the burn, as it does not like to burn evenly. The face alone took almost 8 hours to burn. After the face the rest went pretty quick. In total I have about 30 hours in this piece. Derwent pencils where used for the color. The
frame around the rim has 2 layers of copper
with a sodium sulfide patina. After applying
the second layer, I chipped it away in a few
spots to represent the age of the original painting. I was planning to use a crackle lacquer finish on the painting, but abandoned the idea when I could not get the results I wanted. There are many coats of lacquer on the this piece. I wanted the amber tones to help age it a little. Over all I am happy with the final result. The final plate is around 14" diameter.
What a fantastic piece of ART you have created Jeff, just fabulous work, hard enough to achieve with paints let alone a hot wire
Pete

Jeff-

WOW. I'm with Peter, a beautiful piece of art. I'm putting on this as the next Turing of the Week.

Gary

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Jeff Myroup
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata