• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Mulberry Carved & Pierced vessel
Truffuls

Mulberry Carved & Pierced vessel

Mulberry. 3.25" wide by 4.75" tall.

This is a rustic piece, as opposed to Mulberry Lace's delicate appearance. I turned the vessel to about .25" thick.

This pieced was worked, for the majority of the detailing, live on my webcam. People from all over the planet watched me carve and pierce this piece. Kind of kept me on my toes rather than just winging something I was unsure of.

The vessel was divided into 8 panels. I photographed mulberry leaves from my last haul of mulberry, shrunk them down and printed them out in a strip. I used transfer paper to rough trace the shapes into 4 of the panels and carved the leaves out. After the carving was done I pierced around the leaves. I left the burned edges of the pierced and carved areas and left most of the inside rough to enhance the rustic nature of this piece. The bottom and outside was hand sanded with about 10 light coats of lacquer.

I carried the eight division lines all the way to the bottom of the vessel and carved a faceted pinwheel on the bottom.

As always, Higher res/more photos are on my site.
There are no comments to display.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Truffuls
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata