• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Natural Edge Vessel Critique
Rick Urban

Natural Edge Vessel Critique

Back in the day, actually a very early day in my life as a woodturner, I had much to learn. This photo of a natural edge vessel, cherry as I recall, (with bark and cracks and terriffic midday lighting on a wonderful backdrop) illustrates a number of lessons I thought I would share with newer turners, and give some of the old-timers a little chuckle.

I'll add my additional thoughts in a reply to this post.
When I demonstrate I try to integrate three things, no matter what the subject of the demo.

1. Things I wish I had known when I started turning.
2. Lessions I wish I had learned sooner when I started turning.
3. Advice I wish I had taken when I started turning.

Let's do a bit of that here.

As with most advice, dos, and don'ts; these represent my opinions, and there are exceptions to most rules.

1. Forget the knots.
2. Think twice about including bark. The bark edge is an obvious exception and the flow of the bark on the side works in this case, but more often it just adds nothing to the composite whole.
3. If you absolutely must include a crack, DO something with it! Period. Explanation point! Full stop.
4. The piece is not done until the tool marks are gone! I eventually realized I was always in such a hurry to have the work finished that I would trick myself into not seeing what needed work. I will still sometimes stop short of the best I can do in the interest of moving on, but it is a conscious judgement decision to make the best use of the time available to me.

5. Just as artistic embellishments should not compete with natural figure for center stage, photos should caputure light and shadow to help the viewer to take in the whole form and guide the mind's eye to the focal point of the work. The backdrop should, in its best role, "disappear."

On a positive note, I still feel this form is pretty ok without flat spots or "elbows" to detract from the curves. The proportions seem decent, if you mentally include the bottom of the vessel hidden in the deep shadows.

There is more that could be said. Please feel free to add your opposing views and suggestions to aid other turners in improving their ability to look critically at and improve their own work. I will not take it personally, but rather as an opportunity to collectively mentor another generation of woodturners.

I eventually realized I was always in such a hurry to have the work finished that I would trick myself into not seeing what needed work.

Good stuff here.....this comment ^^^^^ reminded me of something in the thread about the writing on the walls of your shop that went something like this:

If you think "it's good enough"......it probably isn't! :)

This thread here:

5. Just as artistic embellishments should not compete with natural figure for center stage,

^^^^^ Yes.....absolutely! :)

-o-

I have signs in my shop. One says, "Do it now!" The other says, "Don't do it!" I will probably open a new thread with the details on their origins.

Hey......"Do it now" was the first thing I ever put on the wall of my shop! My thinking on that, was when you have an idea, you must act on that idea right away.....because the chances are you'll never get back to it later.

-o-

My thought, at the time, for Do it now! was...
Sharpen the gouge.
Pick up the nub on the floor.
Move the tool rest.
Etc.

But I like yours too.

I don't like the shadow towards the bottom and neck, secondary light? mirrow? Light behind potographer?no blue?cracks happen

Rick, your comments are spot-on. We were all beginners once and, more or less, made the same mistakes.
  • I've observed that beginners aim for the largest turning that they can make from a chunk of wood rather than the best turning they can make, typically, a flat-bottomed bowl with vertical sides.
  • Knots and bark inclusions aren't necessary and sufficient conditions for a masterpiece.
  • If the ugly hunk of wood "speaks" to you, don't listen because it has a wooden brain.
  • When photographing your finished masterpiece, fingers, toes, and a messy shop might not be the optimal photo background.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Rick Urban
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename