• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Neptune's Tribute
mfoster

Neptune's Tribute

The latest in my diatom series. This is one of those pieces I just got carried away with. Originally I intended just to do a pierced bowl based on a diatom. I use one of those cheap Ikea LED lights while doing detail work/piercing. I had it shining it down on the bowl and noticed how cool the shadows were that it cast. That inspired me to make a pedestal to give it a chance to create shadow. I wanted something organic and reflective of the ocean for the pedestal, then landed on the idea of an octopus. It was all done and ready for finish (plain, slightly figured ash from our property) and I thought it would look good with some color. So it got some aniline dye, then a couple coats of Tung oil/varnish mix.

Ash
Bowl 7" x 2.25"
8" High with pedestal
Aniline dye
Tung oil/varnish mix

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
mfoster
Date added
View count