• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Nice Shape
MichaelMouse

Nice Shape

OK, maybe these don't belong up here with the good stuff, but in the thread itself. Nonetheless, I whipped some shellac on this and the other to ask the question
very nice, very plain

Hey Michael, keep these coming to the gallery! Where did you find that maple? Soft? And did you get the whole tree? The shellac sure shows the chatoyance well and also very true to color. The bark saved well, was this winter cut?

It's fall-cut stuff. Before the leaf drop. Neighbor's got one of those outdoor smoke-belchers to heat the house, and wants uncured wood for winter. I got invited for some big birch and rescued the curly. Plain Jane is from my stack, which was about 3/4 hard maple 1/4 cherry this year. Also late summer/early fall. Won't burn it this year, of course. I hate creosote!

Bark's always a problem on undercut types, but out of four I did only one had the side go east bark go west routine. Better lucky than good, I guess.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
MichaelMouse
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename