• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Northland Kauri
Terry Scott

Northland Kauri

A couple months back I swapped a red mallee burl with Alby Hall for a block of Northland Kauri .
This small bowl 6 inch diameter was a core saved from the larger piece.
I think the hard mallee may have been easier to get a finish on .As you can see the grain didnt no which way it was going .Sanded with oil then lacquered
The main block I had a bit of a mishap with at participation.
I had the piece in a set of hundred mm jaws .The piece was still covered in wax so the grip wasnt the best .Turning the lathe on so I could then trim the rim and then bring up to a face plate so the foot could be cleaned up to re chuck .
Another turner had been using my lathe to do some spindle work ,you guessed it I didnt check the speed .The piece literally took off flying about 15 feet into the air and coming down behind me on the floor smashing to bits .It was moving so fast that it sat spinning on the floor for a minute or two .
My pride was hurt but lucky no one else was. Why is it I Always check the speed but this time I didnt and bang.
A month ago and the jokes are still flying around the club rooms, Sure was dum
Anyway what do you think about this bowl.
Bad things happen to good people (sorry to hear about the larger piece), but THIS is no bad thing!
I like the form, and it shows the wood off to it's best advantage - I don't think any other form would have done it nicer.

Hi George just had a look at your web site I especially like the bandsaw turnings
Thanks for commenting
www.timberly.co.nz
Cheers

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Terry Scott
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating