• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Ode to odie
Gene Pitstick

Ode to odie

I am an admirer of odie's creations. This is my first effort to create something similar. The bowl is 5.5" in diameter and made from what I believe is big leaf maple which was very challenging for me to avoid tear out and chipping. I will add photos of the bottom and rim detail below. I built a fixture to attach to my small tool rest on a Nova XPR to help with making the incised rings equally spaced.
20240123_102259.jpg
20240123_113916.jpg

That's a nice bowl, Gene. Definitely has some design features that are common in Odie's bowls. I love your grain orientation and the full-bodied appearance. I suspect this one feels nice in the hands! To me, the timber looks a little bit more like Elm than BLM. But ask my wife and she'll tell you I'm wrong pretty often ;)

But ask my wife and she'll tell you I'm wrong pretty often ;)

Ha,ha.....I know what you mean, Michael. I haven't completely given up on receiving advice from family, friends, and fellow woodturners......although I'm still trying to keep an open mind when I do.

At some point, you just have to go with what you think, and be very selective as to what influence others can have.....after all, YOU are the artist, and that should be the most important thing in your quest for artistic satisfaction.

@Gene Pitstick

Thanks to Gene for the compliments, and taking one of my principal designs/shapes, and applying your own solutions to the problems these things present.

Full speed ahead, my friend! :)

-o-

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Gene Pitstick
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings