• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Old Growth, New Life
Alan Carter

Old Growth, New Life

This is my entry for the Through the Woods, Around the Block show at the Lubeznick Center in Michigan City, IN. I stole Andy DePietro's description of the rules- Here they are:
Exhibiting turners will be showing artwork from non-endangered wood, indigenous to their region. Submissions must consist of two elements: The first will be a 6 x 6 x 3 block of wood that has been cut to size, but not worked in any other way. The second element will be a turning created from a similar 6 x 6 x 3 block of the same wood. This second element can be turned as is or disassembled, re-fashioned, and turned, just so long as the wood's features are not obscured by paint, bleach, etc. This turning can be from a burl or a root so long as the artwork fits within a volume 6 x 6 x 3. In the exhibit, the second element will be displayed on top of the first to illuminate the wood's character and to illustrate the before/after creative alteration.

My piece is walnut with an ash stem. The idea is that the new piece is growing out of the block and the ash is pulling it up, new life from old. At least that's the concept.

The hardest part was screwing up enough courage to cut the bottom off the turning without it flying all over the place.
I always love your work Alan, and this is no different. I can feel the nerves shaking when you cut the bottom. It works well though. Nicely done.
Don L.

I am envious of the creativity and technique required to produce such work.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the compliments. Don, even now I get a little shudder when I look at it.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Alan Carter
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename