• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Olive with Ebony collar
Paul Porter

Olive with Ebony collar

About 5 x 2 inches. The finish is General Finishes' Seal-A-Cell and buffed with the Beall system. I have been trying to make these collars as thin as possible. I like the way they finish off a piece. Now I look at some of my first collars and they look real clunky. All comments welcome.
I think both types of collars look nice. These thinner collars make the piece look lighter in weight to me.

I know you're doing a lot of pieces. Do you think Seal-A-Cell is a good finish now that you are using it? I haven't tried it, so I don't know if it is a wipe-on or a spray finish. Has it saved you time over previous finishes?

paul - the colors on my old laptop screen are always off so i hesitate to comment on tone/color, but the thought occurred that the black of the collar was a possible distraction to the tone of the olive ... wonder how it would look with more brown tones?

love the finished look the collars bring!

Thanks for the comments.

Jeff - I use Seal-A-Cell in the winter time. It seems to dry to fast in the summer here in Phoenix. It's a wipe-on finish. I think it holds up better in a "gift shop" situation where the pieces get handled a lot. My favorite finish is several coats of danish oil followed by buffing with the Beall system after it drys.

-e- I think the angle of the photo over emphasizes the collar. I tried using brown with olive but the colors weren't right. The olive has kind of a green tint and I haven't found the right brown wood yet (but then I haven't really tried, I like the ebony). It's like matching paint chips. I'm trying to make them as thin as possible. My earlier collars look really clunky now.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Paul Porter
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device